23 marzo 2017

1657 - John Lee Hooker Boom Boom 1962

"Boom Boom" is a song written by American blues singer/guitarist John Lee Hooker and recorded in 1961. Although a blues song, music critic Charles Shaar Murray calls it "the greatest pop song he ever wrote". "Boom Boom" was both an American R&B and pop chart success in 1962 as well as placing in the UK Singles Chart in 1992. The song is one of Hooker's most identifiable and enduring and "among the tunes that every band on the [early 1960s UK] R&B circuit simply had to play". According to Hooker, he wrote the song during an extended engagement at the Apex Bar in Detroit. I would never be on time [for the gig]; I always would be late comin' in. And she [the bartender Willa] kept saying, 'Boom boom – you late again'. Every night: 'Boom, boom – you late again'. I said 'Hmm, that's a song!' ... I got it together, the lyrics, rehearsed it, and I played it at the place, and the people went wild".

No hay comentarios: